Saturday, September 10, 2011

I AM BACKinGREECE... A Wonderful Initiative in Support of Greece!



Photo Source: Reuters/Francois Lenoir

We were thrilled to see this T-Shirt make headlines around the world this week!
German MEP, Global Greek Jorgos Chatzimarkakis (R),  gave it to EU Commissioner Olli Rehn (L) during a seminar on the Greek Crisis at the EU Parliament in Brussels on September 7, with Greek Minister for Development and Competitiveness, Michael Chrisochoidis looking on. 


Created by Catherine Sparkes,
an English textile designer, and her husband Nikos Arnaoutakis, this gorgeous T-Shirt won't just  generate positive feedback for Greece during the economic crisis. Catherine and Nikos are doing their bit for Greece, announcing that all profits from the sales of this T-Shirt will go to the Greek Solidarity Fund. 

Photo Source: I AM BACKinGREECE

" Ένιωσα την ανάγκη να αντιδράσω στην κρίση. Έκανα ενα μπλουζάκι που λέει "Eπέστρεψα στην Ελλάδα", αλλά και παράλληλα "Υποστηρίζω την Ελλαδα". Φορώντας όλοι το μπλουζάκι μεταφέρουμε ένα θετικό μήνυμα ! Τα έσοδα θα δοθούν ως βοήθεια στην Ελλάδα. Εύχομαι η πράξη μου αυτή να είναι το έναυσμα για παρόμοιες κινήσεις και από άλλες "δυνάμεις" δημιουργώντας μια πραγματική βοήθεια σε τούτη τη χώρα..."

"I felt I needed to react to the crisis. I created a TShirt which says "I'm Back in Greece"  and at the same time, "I'm Backing Greece". By wearing this TShirt we're sending out a positive message! Profits will be given to help Greece. I hope this move of mine will inspire similar moves by other 'powers', thus creating real help for this country...
  
I hope that this will lead to other ideas and create a surge of positive energy and inspiration to move forward. Greece needs to revive and find its old glory. "

 Listen to the song in the video clip below. It was created specially for the occasion by Catherine and Nikos,  and sung by their daughter, Maria..



I'm BackinGreece


Greece needs an anchor to hold against the tide
Now with the crisis don't run away and hide
Seeped in history a source of so much pride
Time to stand up and fight don't have to be on any side
[chorus]
I am back in Greece returning to my roots
I am back in Greece and here I'm going to stay
I'm backing Greece, springing up new shoots
I'm backing Greece, backing it all the way.

They gave us new rules that we must abide
Like the ancient warriors pick up our swords and fight
Let our strong hearts to be our guide
Really we're in for a stormy ride

When all the raging forces subside
The lessons we have learnt will be wide
Putting all our differences aside
Living in harmony side by side.

I am back in Greece returning to my roots
I am back in Greece and here I'm going to stay
I'm backing Greece, springing up new shoots
I'm backing Greece, backing it all the way.


Lyrics : Catherine Sparkes,
Music & guitar : Nikos Arnaoutakis,
Voice : Maria Arnaoutaki



Catherine and her husband Nikos Arnaoutakis established their company, ZOE, meaning life, in the beautiful town of Aghios Nikolaos in Crete, 22 years ago.

ZOE, established in Greece as one of the leading brands in T-shirts in the tourist market, has outlets all over the Greek Islands and mainland.

Catherine worked in Hong Kong and London for British Fashion Companies and then established her own brand which sold through many of the major fashion stores in London and New York.

In 1988 she moved to Greece and realized that there was a gap in the market for T-shirts with good designs. Using the tremendous wealth of inspiration from Ancient Greece she set about creating her own designs, with great success.

Recently the company also launched a very interesting Greek themed watch collection.

 


From all of us in the Global Greek World :
  Congratulations on a great initiative!  
Καλή Επιτυχία, Best of Luck!

GO  GREECE!!! 

To show your support and buy the T-Shirt Click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome feedback from our readers, but please keep your comments polite and respectful. Anonymous comments will be evaluated and published only if considered appropriate.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

IMAGES OF GREECE ...ABROAD

IMAGES OF GREECE ...ABROAD
Archangel Michael's Shrine, Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

25th March Parade To Cenotaph Wellington, New Zealand

25th March Anniversary Parade, Wellington, New Zealand